Sunday, July 6, 2008

Selam Friends and Family

Selam Friends and Family!!
It has been hard for me to get to the internet this past week. Power has been on and off and the internet I normally go to is always closed! So today I ventured out and found a new one. : ) There is so much to update you guys on! Honestly I wish I could write to you each a personal e-mail. But even though I can't, I want you to know that I think about each of you, and each of your e-mails brings me so so much joy. I feel the love from you all and it means so much more to me then I can even express in words. It is hard to be alone so far far away from home. But even so God has encouraged me and shown me the importance of receiving love from strangers. Although often I feel like a burden on every one. It is a humbling experience that's for sure. Lets see, I'll try and break this up in headings so you can read it easier.

God Moments: When I said in my first letter to everyone that I would learn to depend on God in new ways....God took that very seriously! I have been lonely...confused...sick...unhappy....and in my times of joy and peace...God has met me in new ways. God brought me a friend last week! I woke up one morning praying and praying for a friend and God placed a girl named Jalalee that I had met in the internet café the other day, on my mind. And so my family let me go and walk around. So I went to the internet café to see if I could find Jalalee, but it was closed. So I just decided to walk....I walked and walked not know where I was going...and all of a sudden I heard "Selam, Dana!" I turned around and it was Jalalee!! I knew at that second that it was a moment arranged by God. It was so random, it had to be! So Jalalee and I went and sat in a coffee shop and talked for more than an hour. I don't have a cell phone yet, so I haven't been able to see her for a week, but even so, it gave me peace and hope and reassurance that God really is guiding me and taking care of me. Also, the first week I was in Ethiopia, I was thrown into a crazy experience with my internship...I didn't know what they wanted me to do...they had me interview a pastor and a group of poor women, and honestly I just threw together questions and bs-ed my way through it....so after that I was sitting in an office feeling very lost and confused and I looked on the wall...and in ENGLISH (which is rare) it said "If God brought you to it, He will bring you through it." WOW! God is good. I took a break from my internship to get oriented, but I am going to start it again this week. They want me to do some research and write some proposals for them. I'm still not quite sure..but I'll let you know once I get into it! Pray that God will give me clarity and knowledge to know how to best serve them. They are a Community Development organization that works with a holistic approach towards the poor...so basically they help them help themselves...instead of just being a charity. So far it seems like an amazing organization, I just don't feel very qualified to do what they want me to do!! Only with God's strength. : ) Also the other night when the power was out, I sat by candle light...drinking tea and talking to my host dad. It was an amazing experience! He has an amazing story. His family was taken and he was put in Jail at the age of 8 by Somalians...he stayed in jail for 11 years! It's a long story so I'll tell you about it when I get home.

Food Moments: So everything I eat seems to be HOT! And for those of you who know me and my family...we don't really eat hot foods. So my goal has been to kill my taste buds and get used to eating spicy things. The other day I was eating my normal...injera with some sort of meat mush....and my family offered me a jalapeño pepper stuffed with some sort of tomato mush. I decided to eat it...my personal goal was to finish the whole thing and to not cry!! I accomplished only one of my goals. I finished it, but tears came! Haha I also drank a lot of water. But that was just the first step. By the time I come home I'll be able to eat jalapeno peppers- Minum Idelem (no problem!)! : ) haha

Street Life: So unfortunately I still have not gotten used to all of the stares and comments from people. I've never been overseas by myself...usually I'm in a group of foreigners so I can distract myself from all of the stares. But not this time!! I am constantly made aware that I am a ferenji (foreigner) and that I look and talk different then everyone! The other day I took my little host brother out to eat some cake at a local coffee shop (coffee shops are everywhere...just like Seattle!! ) and since he only six...he commented the WHOLE way there and back about how many people were staring at us. Haha I've gotten some funny comments, "sister, sister I love you" or "hellohowareyouwhatisyourname?" It interesting...it seems that many little little kids...like 2 or 3 years old have an impulse to stick their hand out to me and have me shake it. I've done that I couple of times now. : ) It's still hard for me because when people see me they immediately associate me with whatever they think about foreigners....rich is a common one...mean...greedy....doesn't know any Amharic...who knows!! I guess I shouldn't worry about it, but I hope that I can make a positive influence on people about how they view foreigners. On my route to my house there is a field...it is my favorite field to pass by because it always has different animals. Sometimes it's goats...horses....cows....donkeys....sheep....dogs....it's always a surprise!! : ) I'm still getting used to all of the sounds I hear...my favorite sound is a donkey naaaying. Haha I don't know why, but I like hearing it.

Language Moments: So I still haven't found a language helper. My host brother and sister speak English and they have been helping me. Also my host mom speaks A LITTLE English, so she's been helping me. I already know more Amharic then I do Spanish...and I've had Spanish classes!! Basically anyone who is willing to help me, I try to learn. It's been fun, but its hard!

Homestay: My family is going to Seattle so I have been on a search for a homestay. Amber helped me find a nice family who lives inbetween her and my internship!! The pasrents speak English so they can help me with things. And they can help me with learning more Amharic! I'm moving there tomorrow night! Wow. I'm going to miss my family so so much, but it's fun to know that I will see them in Seattle when I go home! Yay! Anyways, I'll let you know about my new family!

Prayer Requests: Pray that the transition to a new family goes well. Pray that I will find a friend there!! Pray that I will understand my internship!! I love you all. Thank you so much for your prayers and love. They are felt. You are in my prayers as well. I'll write more when I can!In Christ, Dana

No comments: